Pages

January 29, 2008

Working for Disney!? No way! Yes way.

Even though I’ve only been here for a few months, I think the most amazing things have happened to me in that short time. Here’s a quick recap:

1.) Got my first real studio job doing Storyboarding at Yu+Co - thanks to my dear friend, Ron Noble! (shameless plug for Ron: http://www.nobletown.com)

2.) Met and worked alongside one of my favorite animators, Pendleton Ward, creator of Adventure Time! Here’s hoping Adventure Time continues, Pendleton! I wasn’t kidding when I said I was a huge fan!
:)

(I’m such a fangirl sometimes, but I can’t help it, I love animation.)

3.) Joined ASIFA (finally!) and I got to vote for the 2008 Annie Awards. Since I was a little girl, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to be on a committee like that. I know I’m just one voter, but to me it means the world to be able to vote and show my appreciation to all the nominees. It’s a big honor to me and I hope to continue to do it and hopefully volunteer as much as I can.

4.) Started my own web business! That’s right, if you need a website, just come see me at: LAWEBCHICK.com I’m also offering to tutor in Flash for either animation or websites if you are interested. Just drop me an email at: joaniegecko at gmail.com.

5.) Met some great friends, including my newest friend, Shondalia White, who I met through WIA. It’s so nice to have a girlfriend my age in town! I miss all of my usual gal pals back in KC, so it’s refreshing to have someone to run around with. Shondalia works at Nick as a Production Assistant on Tak and she loves it!

6.) And last but definitely at the top of my list: I just signed on for an entry-level job at Disney Interactive in their QA department! Many of you who know me know that I’m a huge gaming fan and that a few of my favorite titles have come from DI - including Kingdom Hearts - and that although Animation is my first love, I can’t deny my Gaming side - SONIC FOREVER! *laughs* Which is just as strong. I’m really excited to start work. I know it will be hard and long hours and it won’t always be pixie dust and rainbows, but heck, it’s working for DISNEY! If you would have told my 10 year old self that she would have died of some kind of happiness heart attack.
:)

She was funny like that.

That’s the thing too, I never seem to know what’s coming up around the bend. Ron’s been trying to get me on at his studio too (very excited about that!) and I’m working with a couple other people on possible animation jobs. I went from nothing to do to having to choose between projects, which is something I never forsaw for myself.

Looking back, I’ve really matured the past few months that I’ve been here, and I feel like Hollywood is my home now. I even know how to drive well on the highways without getting lost and that’s saying something in itself! My first time alone on the 134 I had a death grip on the steering wheel and the look of a hamster stuck in a toaster, lol.

Here’s hoping 2008, the year of the Rat, is just as good, if not better, than the last.
:)

Love to all, especially to my new friends: Indy & Tasha, Ron, Georgette, and Shondalia!

- Joanie /^>

2 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff, been thinking of applying to the Disney Development program myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday poeple making so much money with the help of Italian styles way.play bazaarhelping to all of the blogging websites whatever the satta king going to your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!