Pages

January 12, 2011

The Triumphant Space Chicken Queen
(and some lesser known beings)

At least that's probably how she would introduce this post. Regardless, submitted for your approval from my secret sketchbook locked away deep in the recesses of the Gecko Cave come three drawings from one of my favorite serials available on the web:



First up is the Queen of the Space Chickens herself! All hail her almighty cluckiness! Definitely the best out of the three, I'm very happy with how she turned out design-wise, other than I think I could redo her colors one more time. She ended up looking more purple than pink due to my navy background. Next time I'll make her more pink for sure! I added some embellishments with the necklace, her crown, and a cool looking royal staff. Overall I had a fun time drawing her.


Captain Sundance Starmont of S.P.A.C.E. is up next! About the only thing I didn't include is his weaponry. I wasn't too happy with this one otherwise I would have colored it to show off his trademark hot pink shorts. It's been way too long since my last life drawing class and humans are rather hard for me to draw, especially hands. I'm hoping to fix that this year. One of my goals is to get comfy drawing and designing humans. I've improved a lot on faces, as you can tell here with Sundance. I think I might do another pass of this pose and change it to the scene in the latest chapter (as of this post) where the cult maidens are anointing him and Astralyn breaks in and tries to convince him they're going to kill him.



Last up is Lieutenant Septimus "Timmy" Falken. I was focusing mainly on designing the S.P.A.C.E. uniforms here, as you can tell by the sucky posing. However for not drawing seriously in over three years, it's amazing how quickly you can bounce back. Compare Timmy to Sundance above to see what I mean. Originally I wanted to have him with some kind of device in his hand but I had hard time enough with it that I just cleaned up the hands as best I could and went on with my life.

Moving on was worth it because next I drew the Queen! So things turned out for the best. I still wanted to post all three anyway, mostly for my sake if no one else's. Also to prove that as an artist you have good drawings and bad drawings. You just have to know when to settle and walk away. If I had kept working on Timmy, I would have never gotten to the other two and they ended up being my best work from the day.

Lesson learned: A drawing is never finished until you walk away from it.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted them and are feeling free to share again! I liked the Chicken a lot although I am totally unfamiliar with the story of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm happy about that too. :) You can read the story here: http://xantojones.wordpress.com/meanwhile-in-space-episodes/ It's super fun. It's like watching saturday morning cartoons, hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday poeple making so much money with the help of Italian styles way.play bazaarhelping to all of the blogging websites whatever the satta king going to your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm allowed to write for three days", satta king by the next

    afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your blog very muchDigital MarketingBy the next afternoon I'm kissing on the bit to bring it back. This is a great blogspot theme, where you can find the best themes and latest designs. very nice. But you know that this is the right time to start your business with Google Media Website Development

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are often overwhelmed by the thought of all they'd have to do to have a greener home. Knowing how to get started and what to do to receive the most benefit can be difficult. The advice in this article will allow you to find exactly what works for your living situation.
    bhakti Bhajan

    ReplyDelete
  7. your blog is unique, i really liked your blog, I want to share some news with you on world news. latestest news. just take some time and check my website as possible as, thank you Amazon Upcoming Sale July 2020 amazon fab phone sale amazon upcoming sale offers Amazon Upcoming Sale Upcoming Sale July 2020

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!